Re: Woody on 486 problem

On 20.02.07 23:40, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 10:52:24 -0600
> John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Arnt Karlsen writes:
> > > ..write new bios code for old 386 irons to use todays new big ass
> > > disks is trivial to you?
> >
> > Linux doesn't use the BIOS.  You just need something the BIOS
> > supports for a boot disk.  Once the kernel is up it will handle your
> > large disk fine.
>
> Does that mean that I can put /boot on a CD, boot from it and have the
> root on a HDD bigger then 32 GB?

Yes. But in some cases (of motherboards) you'll have to turn off that disk
in the BIOS setup.

> My BIOS does not recognize HDDs bigger then 32 GB unless I set the jumpers
> on the 'clip' setting, but it can boot from CD.

2.4 kernels had CONFIG_IDEDISK_STROKE optikon for geometry resizing of big
disks. It seems that 2.6 kernel does that automatically (or at least, using
option hdx=stroke). You could even try to boot from the disk and have /boot
there, just make BIOS think it's smaller disk than it is...

However I don't think you should have root partition bigger than 32GB - my
root partitions are usually smaller - I use /var, /home (ext3) and /tmp
(tmpfs) on extra filesystems.
We are but packets in the Internet of life (userfriendly.org)