Huge fonts in openoffice.org user interface (revisited)

Hello,

maybe you remember this thread as of a few weeks ago. My problem is that
the user interface font in OpenOffice is gargantuan when run under fvwm.

However, during my recent experiments with gnome-desktop-environment
(which also messed up my cursor theme, thanks for the
update-alternatives tip) I discovered that Oo looks just fine! Small
fonts, nicely integrated with the look of the whole desktop.

My question is: Where the hell does OO get its ideas about UI fonts? Can
only be through environment variables, can't it? So I dumped the shell
environment variables once from a terminal in the gnome desktop and once
from fvwm. Both terminals had been used to start OO from the command
line. I then diffed one environment against the other with

$ diff environment_fvwm environment_gnome

The result is attached below. Of course the line
GTK_RC_FILES=/etc/gtk/gtkrc:/home/dh/.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2
immediately caught my attention, so I exported that variable in a shell
in fvwm and started OO, but to no avail.

So, again: Where does OO get its UI font ideas?

Thanks,
--D.

Below is the complete environment diff:

13c13,14
< COLUMNS=120
---
> COLORTERM=gnome-terminal
> COLUMNS=80
15c16
<
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-HtM8H5oNK9,guid=e32c94f9ccdfe9405b4ec00045dbfe09
---

DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-DrDTw89ZfL,guid=b3232343a1a9051e9a857a0045dbfddd
16a18
> DESKTOP_STARTUP_ID=
21,22c23,24
< FVWM_MODULEDIR=/usr/lib/fvwm/2.5.18
< FVWM_USERDIR=/home/dh/.fvwm
---
> GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=Default
> GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET=/tmp/keyring-VwW1nf/socket
23a26
> GTK_RC_FILES=/etc/gtk/gtkrc:/home/dh/.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2
28d30
< HOSTDISPLAY=kir:0.0
33c35
< LINES=64
---
> LINES=24
44c46
< PPID=3932
---
> PPID=3795
49a52
> SESSION_MANAGER=local/kir:/tmp/.ICE-unix/3659
53,54c56,57
< SSH_AGENT_PID=3917
< SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-KsErVB3865/agent.3865
---
> SSH_AGENT_PID=3711
> SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-OMHUil3659/agent.3659
59c62
< WINDOWID=6291471
---
> WINDOWID=33554512