Re: What are the two roots in grub?

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 09:01:50AM +0100, Dan H. wrote:
> hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
>
> > Perhaps the simple solution to the original problem is to install etch
> > from scratch rather than try to upgrade sarge.
>
> I think it is.

Except that didn't work either.  I now have an etch that boots just
fine, except that when is get to the end of the boot procedure and
starts X, the screen goes black and stays that way.  Sometimes it comes
up properly.

The installation *never* asked me a thing about how I wanted to
configure X, even though I was in expert mode, so I think I can blame
the installer.  Still, that doesn't help me get things going.  Yes, I
have filed an installation report.

> Until recently I had two sarge systems which are now
> etch. One I fucked up beyond repair, and on that one I did a new etch
> install. That went without a hitch. The other I upgraded, and even
> though nothing really went wrong, the upgrade took a much longer time
> and my hair stood on end some more. Mostly because of screens upon
> screens of error messages whizzing by during repeated "aptitude upgrade"
> runs, myriads of packages being first removed (allegedly "as requested"
> by me) and then magically re-installed during later aptitude runs etc.
> The only difference between a clean new install and an upgrade is that
> during the upgrade (hopefully) your config files stay intact, and, more
> importantly, are automatically updated if the file structure has changed
> between releases. But since I have only very few homemade things in /etc
> I prefer a clean new install and then carefully restoring config files
> from backup.
>
> And reformatting the system partition is faster than the cumulative
> deinstallation of hundreds of packages.
>
> I wonder what will happen to all those people who have their apt sources
> pointing at stable when they do an "aptitude update && aptitude upgrade"
> when etch has become stable overnight.

Lets hope that the upgrade team does its work and everything works
smoothly.  But stacking a libc6 transition on top of two X transitions
-- one to Xorg, andother to break it up and make it modular may be too
much for them.

> In any case, make sure you have /home in a separate partition.

It's on a separate *machine*, just in case.

-- hendrik