Re: What are the two roots in grub?

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 12:46 -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> Do I understand this correctly?
>
> In my /boot/grub/menu.lst there is a stanza
>
> title		other: Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-3-486
> root		(hd0,7)
  ^^^^
This particular "root" is the "grub installation root" IOW it will load
the following line like this

(hd0,7)/vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-486 root=/dev/mapper/lovesong-other ro

> kernel		/vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-486 root=/dev/mapper/lovesong-other ro
                                        ^^^^
That root is the "root" of your machine. and it is passed onto your
kernel as a command line option.

> initrd		/initrd.img-2.6.18-3-486
> savedefault

Your re-write is bad. 2.6.8 will not work after you have installed etch
on the same "logical volume". The udevd you have installed now requires
a kernel version of 2.6.14 or newer.

Hendrik, I have to say you are making things TOOO complicated for your
self. I have seen your posts over that past few months and not
understanding why you even put yourself through all of this.

grub is not that hard to understand. If you have it installed in
multiple locations *AND* the MBR then you have created yourself a myriad
of problems. You seem to want to try everything on a single machine...
not a good idea. Get a cheap machine and do all your blatherskite on
that machine. Then after "getting" it... do in on your primary machine
you use for doing stuff.

Good luck pulling yourself out of this.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net