Re: What are the two roots in grub?

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 03:16:06PM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 01:48:37PM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 01:15:58PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> >
> > I see... so (hd0,7) is the partition where grub looks up all the
> > unadorned filenames bentioned in the stanza.  And the other root is the
> > root of the filesystem in the to-be-booted system.
> > >

> yup.
>
> Maybe you're problem is in the initrd. If it is built to look for / in
> place and you've moved it (which you've done by changing the root=
> parameter, then maybe that is the problem. Try chrooting into the new
> system and building a new initrd from within the chroot. It has worked
> for me before (etch) when moving partitions around.

Not all that likely.  The sarge was originally installed on /dev/hda3.
It worked there.  Then I rewired the hard drives and /dev/hda3 became
/dev/hdc3.  A few edits to its /etc/fstab and everything worked fin
again.  It the physical location of / was built into initrd, it would
have failed then.  Unless initrd is sensitive to drive identity but lot
location within the drive, of course.

-- hendrik