Re: about audacity and sound recording on Linux

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 10:30:34AM -0500, H.S. wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> >>I exported as wav from aucacity, transfered it to my home computer (via
> >>scp) and opened that wav file in audacity. I don't think there any kind
> >>of processing going on during the exporting the au file to wav.
> >>
> >what if you open the wav on the original machine. does it also show
> >the lower levels? or not?
>
> Very interesting point. It is showing the audio wave between +-0.5 there
> as well (on the machine). I wonder how this came about to be.

some normalization is obviously happening in the export to .wav. This
is not necessarily a bad thing, but if you want the un-normalised
data, you'll probably have to leave it in aud format until you get
aroundt to mixing/editing or whatever. Of course, you need to fix that
saturation/clipping situation anyway, so maybe its not really a
problem?