Re: Installing Etch with GUI on T20

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 15:30:51 +0000, john gennard wrote:

Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

There is one more quick thing that you can try: Go to http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/
	[snip]

I've done that now. The 'auto' search didn't work, but I was able
to find in the database all the working drivers for a T20. The S3
Savage card works with the 'savagefb' driver.

However, I'll leave this for the time being as I now have a fully
working install of Etch with Kde.

Just to make sure that you will not waste time later on: The savagefb
driver is a framebuffer driver which has nothing to do with X. It can be
used instead of the generic vesafb for the tty (non-X console) displays.

You probably have already seen Chris Bannister's recent post in this
thread; try the "s3" and the "s3virge" driver that he suggests in your
xorg.conf. (You need the packages xserver-xorg-video-s3 and
xserver-xorg-video-s3virge to have them available. Maybe these packages
were missing in your first install and that caused the problem with X.)

Thanks for this information and advice. I've seen Chris Bannister's
post, so thanks to him also.

As the last install (with the savage driver) gives me a good result; better than the one with the vesa driver, I've decided to leave well alone for the time being - should anything go wrong later, I think
all the advice I've received should enable me to sort things out
provided any new proble is in the same area.

With gratitude for the help,

Regards,

John.