Re: Installing Etch with GUI on T20

Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 09:13:16 +0000, john gennard wrote:

[...]

This morning, I reconfigured X using the 'vesa' driver and you
were perfectly right in your supposition. It now boots directly into Gnome (some tweaking will be necessary - the display is not very good
due no doubt to some of the choices I made). I shall revert to Kde
later (at present, I have to deal with another problem - the major
upgrade to Etch on my main box has broken Kde).

There is one more quick thing that you can try: Go to
http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

and copy/paste your "lspci -n" output into the form. You will get a list
of known drivers for your hardware. Maybe you have to choose a different
driver to get best performance.

I've done that now. The 'auto' search didn't work, but I was able
to find in the database all the working drivers for a T20. The S3
Savage card works with the 'savagefb' driver.

However, I'll leave this for the time being as I now have a fully
working install of Etch with Kde. Last night I deleted Etch with
Gnome, formatted the partition and put the Etch with Kde CD in
the drive and was asked to do nothing except decline the DHCP
configuration - up came a flawless Kde desktop (of course, I still have the Trackpoint stuff showing as errors in Xorg.conf - but
that has no effect). I don't know why things went flawlessly this
time!

However, it possible that your card is too new and that you have to
> wait for the next version of Xorg to have it fully supported.

No, I don't think so - I believe the T20 may have been used by
Moses when he was a boy.

Once again, many thanks for all the time and effort. I bought
the T20 secondhand for a one time purpose and have kept it on.
I am now without my wireless connection and so can take it to a
local Library where there is a free wireless hot-spot (limited
to one hour usage per day) or to an Internet Cafe if I need to
make very large downloads.

Regards,

John.