Re: Installing Etch with GUI on T20

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 10:06:12 +0000, john gennard wrote:

Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

What is your graphics card? Please find the relevant lines in the output
of "lspci" and post them here (lines mentioning "VGA", "graphic(s)" or
"display").

The only reference to VGA etc is:-

------------
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV (rev 11)
------------

We also need more information about your xorg.conf. The output of the
following command should be a good start:

awk '/Section "(Input)?Device"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

-------------
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"kbd"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc105"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"gb"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
EndSection
#Section "InputDevice"
#	Identifier	"Synaptics Touchpad"
#	Driver		"synaptics"
#	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
#	Option		"Device"		"/dev/psaux"
#	Option		"Protocol"		"auto-dev"
#	Option		"HorizScrollDelta"	"0"
#EndSection
Section "Device"
	Identifier	"S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV"
	Driver		"savage"
	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

------------

There might be a problem with the savage driver and your card.
SuperSavage/IX is mentioned as supported in "man savage", but I cannot
find your type number. Maybe somebody else knows more about this
specific card.

You could try to use the "vesa" driver instead, to see if it works at
all. (This driver is very basic and will not offer hardware
acceleration.)

When trying to solve this problem myself, I 'disabled' the
Trackpoint in Bios (it was by default set at 'auto disable'
which I understand means it becomes disabled if an external
mouse is attached), and commented out the 'Input Device'
section in xorg.conf. This changed things and I went direct
to a prompt, but an error message had been recorded indicating
that the relevant entry in 'ServerLayout' also needed commenting
out - this I did and the error message 'No devices detected'
came up. As I said, I can now use a non-GUI installation by
booting into 'single user mode' - trying a normal boot freezes
everything.

Normally when X is started during boot by [xkg]dm and it fails then you
are just returned to the command prompt. If your box locks up completely
then there might be something really wrong with the graphics driver or
something is seriously wrong elsewhere. What is the last message that
you see before your system locks up?

I can't tell you that now. Earlier today I deleted Etch with Kde
and replaced it with Etch having Gnome just to see what would happen.
The result is the same, the box locks up and the logged error messages are identical, but I cannot see the last booting message for it's too quick and the screen immediately blanks out.

I bought this old laptop as it had XP installed and I had received a
large amount of research data created by using Excel - it's still in
the first partition. I'll have a look tomorrow to see what Graphics
driver Windows used and get back to you.

Again, thanks.

Regards,

John.