Re: Installing Etch with GUI on T20

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 20:24:54 +0000, john gennard wrote:

I have an IBM T20 Laptop and want to put on it Etch
(Kernel 2.6.18-3) with Kde. The installation without GUI
is fine, but Kde will not launch. Error messages in
/var/log/kdm.log indicate that the installer assumed the
laptop has a Synaptics Touchpad and this cannot be detected.
/proc/bus/input/devices show that the device is in fact a
'TPPS/2 IBM Trackpoint' Googlings for the Trackpoint show a
confusing picture which I don't understand.

However, as I have considerable arthritis in the hands and
fingers, I have been using an external PS/2 mouse, so I can
do without the 'fiddly' Trackpoint. I commented out references
to Synaptics Touchpad in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but Kde still
does not launch and the error messages )in Kdm.log) now say:-
------------
(EE) No devices detected
Fatal Server error:
no screens found.
------------

At the moment, to get into Etch, I have to boot into single
user mode, otherwise the Laptop locks solid.

I haven't yet tried to run 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' as
without a Manual I may not have enough info to answer some of
the questions posed.

Is what I am trying to do feasible?
Can the trackpoint be brought into play?

Any suggestions regarding a way forward would be apprciated
(a more modern laptop is out unless I win the lottery!)

There should be more info in the Xorg log. If you can switch to a
terminal after a failed KDM startup, you can run

egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

to get a list of all errors and warnings. Post this output here and we
(hopefully) will know what is wrong.

The output of the above command is:-

(WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType" does not exist.
(EE) No devices detected.

I had already looked at the xorg.log file, but I was looking only for errors and not warnings.

John.