Re: Now working... gdm??? Re: Couldn't load XKB keymap... Can't switch to terminal mode

On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 02:49:23AM EST, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 01:09 -0500, cga2000 wrote:

[..]

> > You're going to think I am persistent .. and probably talking through my
> > *ss as well .. but did you try the "vesa" driver?  It's as simple as
> > duplicating the stanza that specifies the nv/nvidia driver and replacing
> > your full-featured nvidia driver(s) by the vesa generic ..  I think it's
> > called "vesa" .. in Xorg's conf file .. and naturally, restarting X.
>

> Gave it a try just now, but still no go.  I reconfigured console-tools
> and console-data as well, but no help there either.
>
> :(

My understanding was that this also occurs when you do an Alt+Ctrl+Fn to
try switching from an X session that was started outside of gdm to
another X session.

If this is the case, it strongly suggests that the problem lies with X
configuration rather than with the linux console.  So I'm not sure how
console-tools would make a difference.  But then again I have missed
some of the posts in this thread.

> > Mind you, I know _nothing_ of X's internals and this is very likely not
> > going to work .. The only reason I suggested this is that I once had a
> > box with a low-end embedded SiS video chip that was behaving likewise
> > and switching from the alpha-beta sis driver to the generic "vesa" let
> > me work around the problem.
>
> I appreciate the thought and suggestions.  I'm feeling quite stretched
> on this, with seemingly less and less that I can try.

I know the feeling.

Unfortunately, I don't understand the mechanisms involved when the
switch occurs apart from a vague idea that there must be quite a lot
going on in terms of freeing up resources -- and saving the current
context in order to be able to restore your sessions and resume where
you left off.

If I had the same problem ... and provided you can set up an empty
partition somewhere on your HD .. I would be tempted to do a minimal
console-only install and then manually add Xorg .. no gnome, kde,
fluxbox ..etc.  and just start a couple of bare bones X sessions .. see
if you still have the problem .. the strategy being to try to break down
the problem into something smaller where fewer components are involved.

Might be easier to get help after taking gdm out of the picture?

> Is the kbd package a replacement for console-tools?  I'm looking for
> replacements now...

Yes, that's the one I use on my new etch system.  console-tools is
installed by default because supposed to be either more mature or have
more features than kbd but it is less versatile where font sizes are
concerned.

Thanks,
cga