Re: Now working... gdm??? Re: Couldn't load XKB keymap... Can't switch to terminal mode

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 18:15 -0500, cga2000 wrote:
> I've pretty much lost track but if the OP absolutely needs a GUI logon
> screen .. did he try the alternatives to gdm (xdm, kdm, wdm, ..) ??
>
> Otherwise what's wrong with ..
>
> $ startx $(which window-manager) -- 0:
>
> ... ?
>
> Is this a corporate setup where he needs to provide a GUI login screen
> to a crowd of users?
>
> Or is K.W. actually claiming that he must have gdm in order to be able
> to switch to a console and that all else fails?

This latter is the situation.  Any WM tried, without using gdm, fails to
allow a switch out to another terminal.

I can run fluxbox w/o gdm and no switching allowed.  FLuxbox with gdm?
Switching OK.

Running another X session at the same time (e.g. my wife) w/o gdm has
the problem, while my gdm-controlled session doesn't.

> Just my two cents .. please ignore if I missed something.

No problem.

Kenward

--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,