Re: Now working... gdm??? Re: Couldn't load XKB keymap... Can't switch to terminal mode

On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 01:09 -0500, cga2000 wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 07:38:26PM EST, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 18:15 -0500, cga2000 wrote:
> > > I've pretty much lost track but if the OP absolutely needs a GUI logon
> > > screen .. did he try the alternatives to gdm (xdm, kdm, wdm, ..) ??
> > >
> > > Otherwise what's wrong with ..
> > >
> > > $ startx $(which window-manager) -- 0:
> > >
> > > ... ?
> > >
> > > Is this a corporate setup where he needs to provide a GUI login screen
> > > to a crowd of users?
> > >
> > > Or is K.W. actually claiming that he must have gdm in order to be able
> > > to switch to a console and that all else fails?
> > >

> > This latter is the situation.  Any WM tried, without using gdm, fails to
> > allow a switch out to another terminal.
> >
> > I can run fluxbox w/o gdm and no switching allowed.  FLuxbox with gdm?
> > Switching OK.
> >
> > Running another X session at the same time (e.g. my wife) w/o gdm has
> > the problem, while my gdm-controlled session doesn't.
> >
> > > Just my two cents .. please ignore if I missed something.
> >
> > No problem.
>
> Yes,
>
> .. and sorry I didn't reply to you directly .. I only saw your post
> after I had replied to F.K. .. your message was on the following screen
> and by the the time I page down it was too late.
>
> You're going to think I am persistent .. and probably talking through my
> *ss as well .. but did you try the "vesa" driver?  It's as simple as
> duplicating the stanza that specifies the nv/nvidia driver and replacing
> your full-featured nvidia driver(s) by the vesa generic ..  I think it's
> called "vesa" .. in Xorg's conf file .. and naturally, restarting X.

Gave it a try just now, but still no go.  I reconfigured console-tools
and console-data as well, but no help there either.

:(

> Mind you, I know _nothing_ of X's internals and this is very likely not
> going to work .. The only reason I suggested this is that I once had a
> box with a low-end embedded SiS video chip that was behaving likewise
> and switching from the alpha-beta sis driver to the generic "vesa" let
> me work around the problem.

I appreciate the thought and suggestions.  I'm feeling quite stretched
on this, with seemingly less and less that I can try.

Is the kbd package a replacement for console-tools?  I'm looking for
replacements now...

Cheers,

Kenward

--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,