Re: Now working... gdm??? Re: Couldn't load XKB keymap... Can't switch to terminal mode

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 07:38:26PM EST, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 18:15 -0500, cga2000 wrote:
> > I've pretty much lost track but if the OP absolutely needs a GUI logon
> > screen .. did he try the alternatives to gdm (xdm, kdm, wdm, ..) ??
> >
> > Otherwise what's wrong with ..
> >
> > $ startx $(which window-manager) -- 0:
> >
> > ... ?
> >
> > Is this a corporate setup where he needs to provide a GUI login screen
> > to a crowd of users?
> >
> > Or is K.W. actually claiming that he must have gdm in order to be able
> > to switch to a console and that all else fails?
> >

> This latter is the situation.  Any WM tried, without using gdm, fails to
> allow a switch out to another terminal.
>
> I can run fluxbox w/o gdm and no switching allowed.  FLuxbox with gdm?
> Switching OK.
>
> Running another X session at the same time (e.g. my wife) w/o gdm has
> the problem, while my gdm-controlled session doesn't.
>
> > Just my two cents .. please ignore if I missed something.
>
> No problem.

Yes,

.. and sorry I didn't reply to you directly .. I only saw your post
after I had replied to F.K. .. your message was on the following screen
and by the the time I page down it was too late.

You're going to think I am persistent .. and probably talking through my
*ss as well .. but did you try the "vesa" driver?  It's as simple as
duplicating the stanza that specifies the nv/nvidia driver and replacing
your full-featured nvidia driver(s) by the vesa generic ..  I think it's
called "vesa" .. in Xorg's conf file .. and naturally, restarting X.

Mind you, I know _nothing_ of X's internals and this is very likely not
going to work .. The only reason I suggested this is that I once had a
box with a low-end embedded SiS video chip that was behaving likewise
and switching from the alpha-beta sis driver to the generic "vesa" let
me work around the problem.

Thanks,
cga