Re: Stupid Noob Question: Surfing the 'Testing' edge

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 10:15 -0500, Grok Mogger wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>
> > So, if you leave your sources.list with "testing" then after the
> > release, you will continue to see package upgrades as things move from
> > unstable to testing.  If you use "etch" then when Etch becomes stable,
> > you will only see security updates.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > -Roberto
> >

> Wait, so stable only gets security updates?  What if there's a
> bug in a package, will it get a fix?  And I guess just to finish
> off my questionnaire, do packages in stable ever get upgrades
> for additional functionality?
>
> If stable only gets security updates, then I find it rather
> funny that I know someone running a Debian system with a custom
> perl script designed to get only security updates via apt-get.
> Was this script a total waste of his time?

In general YES, a complete waste of time. cron-apt can be configured any
number of ways. And since Stable on gets "security" updates and doesn't
change ABIs or APIs.

But I really doubt, someone would goto ALL that works when something
like cron-apt is available and works wonders.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup