Re: Stupid Noob Question: Surfing the 'Testing' edge

Hi,

In article <[🔎] 45D34444.3060907@tiem.utk.edu>,
           Michael S. Peek<peek@tiem.utk.edu> wrote:
> Okay, so, just to make sure that I understand completely.  Once Etch
> becomes the new stable release, does the unstable release replace the
> testing release?  I.e. if I leave my systems at "testing", will I come
> in one day and find that all of my computers want to upgrade a billion
> packages to become what was Sid the day before, or does the testing
> release stay the same and continue to evolve at it's regular pace?

I think there'll be a fairly rapid migration of packages from unstable to
testing as soon as testing becomes the new stable. These packages should
only migrate from unstable to testing if they're 'stable' (I think if they
haven't been changed for a number of days).

So yes, you might find that a day or two after the release of Etch, your
'testing' distribution will suddenly download a load of updated packages.

Andy