Re: OT: Etch/testing sources

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 01:31:59PM +0000, Tyler Smith wrote:
> On 2007-02-12, Chris Bannister <mockingbird@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> >======
> > Don't forget to check that your /etc/apt/sources.lst entries point to
> > etch and not testing, otherwise you may end up with a broken system once
> > etch goes stable.
>
> This puzzles me. I've been running etch/testing since shortly after
> Sarge went stable. I made sure to edit sources.lst to make sure it
> points to testing, and not etch, so I can continue to receive the
> latest packages after Etch goes stable. What happens to testing when
> it becomes Lenny? I expect there will be a bit of a bump initially, as
> everything since the freeze gets dumped into Lenny , but for those of
> us that are comfortable using the testing repo is there something
> extraordinary to be aware of now?

No. if you have gone through a Sarge/testing to Etch/testing transition
you will know what it is like.

Ok, first off, my sig is informational. If someone/anyone thinks huh??
and then goes off to check their /etc/apt/sources.lst entries for the
first time the the sig has done its job. IOW, if you are just starting
out with Debian, say from Windows, then you will most likely not want
any surprises and be better off running Etch/stable instead of
Lenny/testing. Especially if you are doing "bread and butter" work.

Second off, if you know what you are doing, then you won't take any
notice. :-) (disclaimer: you in this context is meant in the general
sense.)

--
Chris.
======