Re: Very disturbing feature in icedove

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 02:31:39PM -0700, Wesley J. Landaker wrote:
> On Monday 12 February 2007 14:33, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > >
> > >     You mean the people who are oblivious to the fact that compact, as
> > > you described it, has been in that usage for decades when referring to
> > > databases and your IMAP mail store is a database?  Ooooh, chilling,
> > > innit?
> >
> > Serious? Scraping the barrel there mate. ROFLOL
>
> No, really, you should listen to Steve.

I realise what he is saying. I've struck it with spamprobe, databases in
scid. But its normally an admin job.

By "scraping the bottom of the barrel" I meant his assertion
"... been in that usage for decades when referring to databases and your
IMAP mail store is a database?" is a cop out especially followed with
"Ooooh, chilling, nnit?"

> "Compact", in that sense, refering to expunging deleted messages from an
> mbox or other mail store, has been *the* common word for that action for
> literally decades, predating even the popular internet (e.g. in the days of
> BBS, Fidonet, etc). It's was used even far before that in other database
> and database-like applications.

Never struck it when dealing with mail. Before I came to Linux I had use
Pegasus, Eudora, Groupwise something or other. When I started using
Linux at Polytech, it was Pine. I don't remember having to compact
anything to *actually* delete mail.

Closest I've come to is 'syncing the mailbox', but never looked at it as
a database operation.

> Asking MUAs to use a different, more descriptive word is perhaps a fine
> request, but claiming that this use is "obscure" when it has been the

I wasn't claiming it was obscure. I just thought that the average Joe
wouldn't think ... "mmm now how do I compact the mail store?" when all
he wants to do is delete a message.

Two different things from a user's point of view, deleting a message and
compacting a database.

--
Chris.
======