Re: Introduction

Michael Pobega wrote:
tom arnall wrote:
On Saturday 10 February 2007 07:54, Joe Hart wrote:
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself.  I am a new Debian Etch user.  I've
switched from Kubuntu since I read about the new partnership of Ubuntu
and Linspire.  While I think the merging of the systems might be a good

/snip/

I booted from the Ubuntu CD the other day and was very impressed. It got my wireless card right off. Back 6 months ago when I did a Debian install from the minimal cd, I had to recompile the kernel etc to get my card to work. Does anyone know if this has changed? I am thinking seriously of recommending Ubuntu as a starting point for new users. Comments on the advantages/disadvantages of this idea are encouraged.
What is involved for a user to switch from Ubuntu to Debian?

The main advantage Ubuntu has over Debian is the easy access to the
restricted (non-free) Linux drivers. I'm pretty sure Ubuntu loads some
non-free drivers by default, which is why it has better out of the box
hardware detection.

  My Ubuntu installation(Dapper) on the other partition failed to
recognize my netcard (smc-ultra) and Debian also failed there. Other
than that both were equal. HOWEVER I did have to run around looking for
proprietary drivers and the win32 codecs.

For laptops Ubuntu is a good point to start new users on, yes, because
it takes way less time to configure and get running than Debian.
Eventually when your friend learns how to work with Linux, he/she should
switch over to Debian for ease of use (But definitely not ease of
setting up).

For desktops I find Debian to be a pretty easy to use and stable OS, and
I would recommend it before Ubuntu. My friend has a new desktop
computer, and it took me less than an hour to set him up dual booting

My Debian Etch is faster to boot and load Firefox/Thunderbird/Gimp and
other large apps. That may be due to the fact I am not running Gnome or
KDE and not carrying all that overhead. Overall I think Debian is a more
solid distro, despite its few shortcomings.

Cheers

Frank