Re: Ubuntu vs. Debian (was Re: Introduction)

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 20:48:40 -0500
Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 21:16 +0100, Joe Hart wrote:
> > Andrei Popescu wrote:

> > > lyx is good for big documents, or when you already have a class to use.
> > > If you are doing something small (one or two pages) and atypical it
> > > might be faster to just use abiword.
> > >
> > I've never heard of lyx.  Have to check it out.  Would you consider a
> > 450 page book a big project?
>
> It would be with Microsoft Word using Change Tracking. Infact I ahve
> seen a 100 page document being 2 years old with 1-2 changes a day being
> done to it... literally require a machine with the fastest processors
> and 4GB of memory (using WindowsXP) just to open it in under 10 minutes.
>
> The document was the "production" scheduling system... and they wanted
> to keep track of what happened, without making it any different. So a
> genius MCP suggested Change-tracking.
>
> One day it failed to open at all Word just crapped out on it. And Guess
> what, there were no backups as "long ago" it was too slow if opened from
> the S: network drive and was decided to put it on the C: network drive
> as everything was being backed-up on the network. Huh, C:\scheduling.doc
> wasn't on the backups.

Typical for windows (backing up/keeping track of changes/synchronizing is a
pain with windows)

it does sound like the job much better handled by a text document along with
cvs/svn.

BTW, lyx has change tracking in the 1.4 version.