Re: Ubuntu vs. Debian (was Re: Introduction)

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 21:16 +0100, Joe Hart wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:41:55 +0200
> > Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
> >

> >> Actually I am a bigger fan of lyx, but that's a hard sell for office
> >> fans.
> >>

> > lyx is good for big documents, or when you already have a class to use.
> > If you are doing something small (one or two pages) and atypical it
> > might be faster to just use abiword.
> >
> I've never heard of lyx.  Have to check it out.  Would you consider a
> 450 page book a big project?

It would be with Microsoft Word using Change Tracking. Infact I ahve
seen a 100 page document being 2 years old with 1-2 changes a day being
done to it... literally require a machine with the fastest processors
and 4GB of memory (using WindowsXP) just to open it in under 10 minutes.

The document was the "production" scheduling system... and they wanted
to keep track of what happened, without making it any different. So a
genius MCP suggested Change-tracking.

One day it failed to open at all Word just crapped out on it. And Guess
what, there were no backups as "long ago" it was too slow if opened from
the S: network drive and was decided to put it on the C: network drive
as everything was being backed-up on the network. Huh, C:\scheduling.doc
wasn't on the backups.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup