Re: removing sound-juicer

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:15:02 -0800
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 09:01:29PM +0000, John K Masters wrote:

> > <chicken>I haven't tried anything yet.</chicken> I'm using apt-get
> > as I've never really got along with aptitude. Installation was done
> > with a netinstall CD and just desktop environment chosen. Not that
> > bothered about keeping or removing sound-juicer but would just like
> > to keep things tidy.
>
> in that case, relax. you *should* notice that removing sound-juicer
> removes a package called "gnome-desktop-environment" but that should
> be about it. As long as it isn't also removing thinks like
> "xserver-xorg-core" or other equally scary packages, you'll be
> fine. gnome-desktop-environment is a meta-package. It doesn't not
> acutally contain anything, but it depends on a bunch of other stuff
> that will build a full desktop environment. By removing one of these
> pieces, you no longer satisfy all the dependencies for that
> meta-package so it gets removed too. But, the *rest* ofthe
> dependencies from that meta-package should remain intact.

Thanks! Seems to have worked

> Just read carefully before you hit 'y'.

I (nearly) always do.

Just a thought. Being informed that gnome-desktop-environment is being
removed would tend to scare the pants off most people, me included.
Would it not be better to call these meta-packages something like
gnome-desktop-environment-meta or
important-sounding-package-safetoremove. Just my 0.03 euros worth.

Regards
--
John K Masters - User #417400 in the Linux Counter
http://counter.li.org/