Re: removing sound-juicer

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 09:01:29PM +0000, John K Masters wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:51:52 -0800
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 11:36:08PM +0100, Mathias Brodala wrote:
> [snip]
> > > Sound Juicer is one of those dependencies and so the gnome-desktop-environment
> > > package can obviously not being kept if you want to remove it.
> >
> > but watch out. It may try to pull out your whole gui. If you installed
> > gnome-desktop-environment using aptitude then all its dependencies are
> > marked as "automatic" and may get yanked as well. Go in an mark the
> > first level down from gnome-desktop-env. as manually installed...

> <chicken>I haven't tried anything yet.</chicken> I'm using apt-get as I've never really got along with aptitude. Installation was done with a netinstall CD and just desktop environment chosen. Not that bothered about keeping or removing sound-juicer but would just like to keep things tidy.

in that case, relax. you *should* notice that removing sound-juicer
removes a package called "gnome-desktop-environment" but that should
be about it. As long as it isn't also removing thinks like
"xserver-xorg-core" or other equally scary packages, you'll be
fine. gnome-desktop-environment is a meta-package. It doesn't not
acutally contain anything, but it depends on a bunch of other stuff
that will build a full desktop environment. By removing one of these
pieces, you no longer satisfy all the dependencies for that
meta-package so it gets removed too. But, the *rest* ofthe
dependencies from that meta-package should remain intact. Just read
carefully before you hit 'y'.