Re: Using graphical environment

Kelly <webmaster@boredomsoftware.com> wrote:
Hello,

I am having trouble getting a new install of Debian 3.1 r4 and it boots
to the command line prompt. I want it to have a graphical interface.
As is it is useless to me. Could someone point me in a direction of a
tutorial on how to install with GUI or how to get a new install to boot
to GUI.

Thanks Kelly
There could be a few reasons for your problem.  I have noticed that if you select server during the debian install, it doesn't load the graphical environment by default.  If I want the graphical desktop, I usually choose desktop and add the server stuff later if I need it.  The other problem is that you didn't configure X properly during the install.  Even in Sarge, you still need to know the chipset in your graphics card and the horizontal and vertical frequency of your monitor.  Most time the simple configuration works, but in many cases you need to choose advanced and specify the capabilities of the monitor.  Some of the debian based distros, such as ubuntu, are better at detecting and configuring the graphics hardware.

ZFH