Re: Ubuntu vs. Debian (was Re: Introduction)

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 09:16:50PM +0100, Joe Hart wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
> >On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:41:55 +0200
> >Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
> >>Actually I am a bigger fan of lyx, but that's a hard sell for office
> >>fans.
> >lyx is good for big documents, or when you already have a class to use.
> >If you are doing something small (one or two pages) and atypical it
> >might be faster to just use abiword.
> >
> I've never heard of lyx.  Have to check it out.  Would you consider a
> 450 page book a big project?

Think of Lyx as a GUI front-end to LaTex.  You can use LaTex to do
anything from a simple letter (no sections, no TOC), report, or a whole
book.  Its all about the structure of the document without worrying
about the typographic details.

Presumably, your 450 page book would have front-matter, title page, TOC,
chapters, sections, etc, appendicies, bibliography, and perhaps an
index.  LaTex does all this.

If you want a GUI, use Lyx.  If you want to just use Vim, then use
straight LaTex.

Doug.