Re: documentation for novice and newbies

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 09:16:58AM -0500, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> I'm concerned about the newbiedoc wiki:
> 	Its server is sometimes unavailable, so we can't get the debian
> 	www people to add a link.
>
> 	As a whole its GFDL although we could do our page GPL.
>
> I'm concerned about the debian wiki:
> 	The front page is immutable due to some spambot or something
>
> 	One has to sign up to edit
>
> 	Overall, its _looks_ unmaintained.
>
> If we went with a wiki, we could have one long page for our project,
> with sub-projects as separate chapters.  We can follow the same layout
> as a debiandoc e.g. release under GPL, Abstract, TOC, then the chapters.
>
> Converting this to html is as simple as grabbing it off with a browser
> and editing that to remove the "wiki" parts.
>
> If we went with a non-wiki format then we need a home.

A home on which to develop?  or a home on which to publish?
With a distributed revision control system, any site is, at least
formally, the equal of any other -- no specific home is needed.
With a wiki, the wiki site *is* home, with all the attendant
uncertainty of what to do if the wiki goes defunct.

We *do* need a site to point readers to, though, whether a wiki
or some other.

-- hendrik