Re: Attracting newbies (Was Booting Debian/testing fails)

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 18:53:03 -0500
Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 05:50:23PM -0500, Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
> > On Sunday 04 February 2007 16:38, Ken Heard wrote:
> > > If the documentation editors are to
> > > be volunteers, good ones will not be attracted to the project
> > > unless they are given status in the organization.
> >
> > You raise many good points some of which are very true and some of
> > which I do not completely agree with. This happens to be on the top
> > of things with which I do not agree...
> >
> > The reason why I contribute (be it code, patches, helping on d-u,
> > writing articles etc.,) to Debian is because I enjoy doing so. Not
> > because one day I dream of becoming a DD, not because I get good
> > reputation points, not because I make money out of it etc., If some
> > documentation editor becomes less motivated to contribute to Debian
> > simply because, there is no official status given to him, I
> > seriously doubt if his motivation levels remain high after couple
> > of years...
>
> I would agree with you Raju.  I would enjoy working on a doc project
> but I'm nowhere near enough to being a politition to want any official
> status.  I just enjoy teaching.

Me too, but I still would enjoy to see that my opinion (in regards to
newcomers, novices, ...) is taken seriously. I'm very interested in
that project mentioned by Gustavo Franco in a recent thread (the one
about getting the voice of the community in the project).

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)