Re: Unstable and Testing stability

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 09:24:11PM -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:
> Jan C. Nordholz wrote:
> >Hi,

> >>Oh wow, I didn't notice that. Well I removed the etch and replaced it
> >>with testing, but now I'm getting this error:
> >>

> >the problem is that testing (or etch) appears twice in the line. It
> >should
> >read
> >
> >] deb http://security.debian.org  testing/updates    main contrib
> >]         ( Server )              (Distribution)     ( Sections )
> >
> >so that "apt-get update --print-uris" prints something like
> >
> >] http://security.debian.org/dists/testing/updates/Release.gpg
> >

> >Regards,
> >
> >Jan
> >
> I ended up getting it working, thanks. I can't believe I was so stupid
> to substitute "main" for "testing", I guess I wasn't paying attention.
> Thanks for your help all, I'll be sticking with testing permanently now
> :-D

I know this thread has run its course, but I've only just seen it and
need to add .02 about a couple issues that either weren't mentioned or
I think were misinterpreted.

The breakage that people refer to in testing is a two fold issue, as I
see it. 1) when "Etch" goes stable, there is a large backlog of
upgrades waiting in sid that will all flush into testing in very short
order. This means that it could get real ugly in testing for a
while. 2) there is a lag in the process from sid to testing. I don't
remember how many days, but it is a few days for sure. What this means
is if something breaks in testing, the bug fix goes in to sid where it
sits for several days before it can move into testing. In addition to
the lag time, there is potential for bugs to take days or weeks to
actually get fixed before they even hit sid. This means when things do
break in testing it can be quite a while before they are resolved.

just wanted to throw that out there.