Re: Unstable and Testing stability

On Sunday 04 February 2007 17:49, Michael Pobega wrote:
> My question is just /how/ unstable is Debian Sid? Is it unstable enough
> to make my laptop useless? Or do I have to worry about my files? Or is
> it unstable in the sense of Ubuntu, where everything could be fixed with
> just a little bit of patience and a whole lot of help?

Yes. IMHO Unstable is really unstable. If you want to have a computer which
just works, use stable. If you want to learn more about the underlinings of
Debian, then both unstable, testing provide a wonderful opportunity. Unstable
breaks quite often and it takes roughly 2-3 days for it to be usable again.
Sometimes it could be worse (xorg transition is an example).

In any case, make sure you have good backups no matter whether you are running
stable, testing, unstable.

You might also benefit from
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/debian_choosing_distribution.html

hth
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Need Help Repairing Your Credit?
Eliminate or consolidate your debt. Cut by 50%, payoff in 12-36 months
http://tags.bluebottle.com/fc/MhtYWUi20XE4KS0bt4EfZ2J5X35U3HU5VQXXM/