Re: Attracting newbies (Was Booting Debian/testing fails)

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 01:39:53AM +0100, David Jardine wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 05:54:15PM -0500, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
>
> [...]
> > The Dreyfus Model of Sill Acquisition [1], describes skills acquisition
> > as passing through five levels:  novice, advanced beginner, competent,
> > proficient, and expert.
> [...]
> >                                                           I also
> > taught nursing where we take novices and turn them into advanced
> > beginners over the course of 4 years.
>
> Thanks, Doug!  That was most enlightening.  Five stages, four
> years per stage. I'd often wondered why I'd displayed no sign of
> competence in all my years with Debian, but I see that it won't
> be long now!  Mmm.  Or will it?

Oh is better than that.  In nursing, Copetency takes between 3 and 5
years in one job (not on a float pool all over the hospital).
Proficiency takes a bit longer.  True experts are awesome to behold.

You seem to be at least proficient at sending email: you snip and bottom
post and get to the point.  Give yourself a break.

In fact, that's the take-home message of the whole Dreyfus model.  Give
yourself and everyone else a break.  Everyone learns at their own pace
and is equally deserving of respect and individualized attention.

Doug.