Re: Getting started with Postgres or MySQL

1. The one who should learn something is you, and not me. So, I would suggest you to learn something basic about database concepts and I don't care if you ever come back or not! 2. You do not have to involve yourself in any single topic you see in the forum, specially if you are not asked to do so! 3. If you have used credit card in stone ages (the days that it was verified by just writing down on papers) it is not my fault! According to the example you said, if you are dealing with a bank or PayPal, there is only one center (or web site) that inserts data into database not anyone from anywhere! There are something called "users" and "privileges". Search on google to find out more about them. 4. Yes, the code which interacts with database is responsible to be sure that the data which is going to be inserted to the database is valid. The database's job to check if the data is "logically" valid. For example not to allow a character to be written in an integer field. There are libraries in each programming language to do so. As I said, MySQL also supports such things and have its own library of functions which are very powerful, but it is optional and up to the user to use them. Without it, it would be just overhead to database. 5. Again back to your example, yes, the PayPal web site offers you to choose the data by using a combo box and not inserting it manually. So the date which is sent to the database is definitely correct before inserting. Many banks and economic organizations use MySQL as their database. I think they do care about the date of their transactions too, don't ya?

D.