Re: Getting started with Postgres or MySQL

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/01/07 20:10, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

>>> What?  In what way?  Learning to develop against MySQL is no harder or
>>> easier than learning to develop against PostgreSQL (besides the fact the
>>> people need to be broken of the stupid misconceptions engendered by the
>>> pervasveness of MySQL).  The two are just different.
>>>
>> Mostly in letting people do rapid development without requiring a lot of
>> forethought in database design.  I know, I know, my argument is a lot
>
> That splatting noise is my hurl splatting onto the opposite wall.
>
> Remind me never to hire you.
>
>> weaker these days with improvements made to Postgres.  Legacy counts too
>> in this case because when there is a big MySQL userbase out there that
>> means more support.  But, as you said before, that's not a technical merit.
>
> Are you sure you don't work for Microsoft?  Or maybe you're an MCSE?
>
> [snip]
>> It doesn't.  Your point (and Ron's) about teaching people bad design
>> techniques and bad habits is well-taken.  MySQL does not enforce good
>> habits.  And if you have good habits or know how to design a database
>> well, then using those techniques actually makes your life easier.
>
>> But you're coming from an angle where people know or must learn all of
>> that just before they're able to even start.  Don't you see how not
>> having to learn that is faster for some people?
>
> It's confirmed.  You *are* an MCSE.

What a useless and boring discussion you have started Ron!! Do you have
to just be against everyone who thinks MySQL has at least some good
features too? I just dropped the discussion when realized that it goes
nowhere, but if you like to continue, learn a little about DBs. Maybe
you will learn more about what a DB should do and what is not necessary
like date verification which is only an overhead to DB and it is
developers job to check it before inserting it in DB, if you take a DB
course (4 credits would be enough). Believe me, you rally need it.