Re: Getting started with Postgres or MySQL

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 05:53:52AM +0100, Danesh Daroui wrote:

> What a useless and boring discussion you have started Ron!! Do you have
> to just be against everyone who thinks MySQL has at least some good
> features too? I just dropped the discussion when realized that it goes
> nowhere, but if you like to continue, learn a little about DBs. Maybe
> you will learn more about what a DB should do and what is not necessary
> like date verification which is only an overhead to DB and it is
> developers job to check it before inserting it in DB, if you take a DB
> course (4 credits would be enough). Believe me, you rally need it.

Ever use a credit card?  I'll bet that somewhere along the way that
transaction gets store into a database.  Now, who do you want to be
responsible for making sure that your transaction is valid?  The
developer?  Ha!  I would say that it absolutely positively must be the
data store.  It does you no good to say "it is the developer's
responsibility" when you have hundreds, or thousands of developers
accessing your database.  What if PayPal or any credit card processing
company put into their SDK for people developing against their systems:
"It is your responsibility to make sure the data is valid.  The database
will *not* check this for you and if something goes wrong, it is your
fault."  Hint: nobody would have *any* faith in their systems.  Your
view is so strongly skewed toward a single-user mindset that it is no
wonder you think it is OK to make the developer responsible.  Please go
learn something about real databases and then come back.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez