Re: Boot logs ?

Frank McCormick <fmccormick@videotron.ca>:

>  On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 01:59:53 +0000 (GMT)
>  "s. keeling" <keeling@spots.ab.ca> wrote:
>
> > Frank McCormick <fmccormick@videotron.ca>:

> > >    So what am I running? - I installed Sarge, and picked the testing
> >
> >    i) What's in /etc/apt/sources.list?
>
>  deb ftp://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
>  deb-src ftp://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
>  deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
>
> >   ii) IFF that points to Etch/testing, have you done a dist-upgrade?
>
>      It doesn't but I have done many update/dist-upgrades since the
>  installation.

Welcome to testing (Etch), at least for the moment.  As soon as Etch
goes stable, that sources.list is set up to take you automatically to
Lenny.  You can forestall that (stay with Etch), if you wish, by
replacing the string "testing" with "etch" now.  Then you'll stay with
Etch when it goes stable.  I prefer to use the names.  That lets me
see what others run into in the upgrade before I jump.  YMMV.

> > But now you're on stock Debian, not Ubuntu, yes?
>
>     Yup. I still have Ubuntu Dapper on another partition but since my
>  switch to Debian I haven't booted it. But Debian is just different
>  enough from Ubuntu that I feel a bit lost at times.

They are a bit of an odd crowd.  Someone mentioned the other day the
single greatest accomplishment of *buntu so far has been vacuuming the
worst of the clueless noobs out of here and into *buntu.  No, you
don't appear to meet that specification at all so far.  :-)

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html