Re: Getting started with Postgres or MySQL

David Baron wrote:
> I have an openoffice spreadsheet from which I want to generate two related
> tables. I have tried most everything installed.
>
> Stuff from OpenOffice will generate a database with table entries named by the
> first line in the spreadsheet. This can, indeed, be queried, sort of.
>
> I would like to get this data into a Postgres or MySQL database. Using
> pgadmin3, I cannot get a connection connected. Does not accept my password.
> Their docs cited Debian problems here and recommended md5 authorization.
> Tried that. No avail. One can also simply say trust (localhost only). No
> avail.
>
> How do I get started here?

Hi David,

MySQL is definitely best choice. If you have not still installed latest
version of MySQL do it as following:

apt-get install mysql-server

then activate your "root" user:

mysqladmin -u root password yournewpassword

then connect to any host:

mysql -h Host_IP_Address_Or_DNS -u username -p

to import your data to MySQL database, I would recommend to export your
data from OpenOffice spreadsheet or any other databases to SQL queries
form. Then run this file in batch mode by MySQL of course with a
username which has enough privileges or simply super user. MySQL will
execute all queries within the SQL file. Be ware that it is also
possible that you may need some modifications to your SQL file, however
they could be minor. To get more precise tip about how to change your
SQL file (if it is needed) check MySQL's error messages. They are
detailed and clear.

I hope it helps.

Danesh