Getting started with Postgres or MySQL

I have an openoffice spreadsheet from which I want to generate two related
tables. I have tried most everything installed.

Stuff from OpenOffice will generate a database with table entries named by the
first line in the spreadsheet. This can, indeed, be queried, sort of.

I would like to get this data into a Postgres or MySQL database. Using
pgadmin3, I cannot get a connection connected. Does not accept my password.
Their docs cited Debian problems here and recommended md5 authorization.
Tried that. No avail. One can also simply say trust (localhost only). No
avail.

How do I get started here?