Re: Recording audio with Debian - hardware/software suggestions

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 03:26:41PM -0500, KS wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >
> > many mixing boards have two outputs: 1 for the mains and 1 for the
> > monitors. The levels can generally be controlled seperately for these
> > two channels. If you have that capability, I would recommend you use
> > the monitor output for recording as you can then control the levels
> > hitting the sound card. You can effectively have two mixes then, one
> > for the amplifier and one for recording. ignore me if you already know
> > this  :)

> Thanks for the info. As I don't know much about mixers, I was trying to
> know what the various outputs meant and I actually had no idea for the
> "monitor" outputs :) I'm getting to know the mixer bit-by-bit. It is a
> Electro-Voice BK-1232 Stereo Mixer and not much documentation was
> available for it on the web.

drifting more and more OT, but...

most mixers have two main sets of outputs. one called "main" and one
called "monitor". Generally, each input channel will have a knob for
controlling its level in the monitors which is seperate from its level
in the mains (that one is generally the big slider at the bottom of
each input channel). Sometimes there is also a set of sliders for
controlling overall monitor level too.

hth