Re: Recording audio with Debian - hardware/software suggestions

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 10:50:31PM -0500, KS wrote:
> Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> >

> >     The following are the questions which come to mind for the hardware:
> >     1. What kind of processing power do we need? Would a 2.0GHz PIV based
> >     machine be OK?
> >

> > If you don't intend to mix the tracks and apply heavy effects to them
> > (compression, eq, etc etc..) 2.0Ghz it's enough, actually I am able to
> > record up to 6 tracks simoultaneously.
> >

> For now we are just planning to use two Y-connections for the SUB-L and
> SUB-R and give one output to amplifier and the other (stereo 2 track) to
> the sound card(on board, and still planning to get a real one). This
> seems to be the simplest configuration (as Roberto suggested) and would
> be good enough for the speeches. For the musical parts we plan to use
> the mixer for the time being.

many mixing boards have two outputs: 1 for the mains and 1 for the
monitors. The levels can generally be controlled seperately for these
two channels. If you have that capability, I would recommend you use
the monitor output for recording as you can then control the levels
hitting the sound card. You can effectively have two mixes then, one
for the amplifier and one for recording. ignore me if you already know
this  :)