Recording audio with Debian - hardware/software suggestions

Hi all,

We are planning to have a setup so that we can record the upcoming talks
(happening every weekend for several weekends at a stretch). The
equipment which is already there comprises of 4 microphones, a mixer
(with 12 inputs I think) and an amplifier for the speakers.

The following are the questions which come to mind for the hardware:
1. What kind of processing power do we need? Would a 2.0GHz PIV based
machine be OK?
2. RAM is 512MB currently. Would it be enough?
3. What kind of sound card would be a good choice? The ultimate
objective being to archive the audio as mp3/ogg.
4. Should the audio be captured from the mixer or from the amplifier?

Software wise: which applications are there which can help in recording
the audio? For splitting/editing the audio I think Audacity is a good
candidate. Are there others of the same kind?

Anything else we need to consider for the setup?

Thanks in advance to all,
/kS