Re: Re: configuring ntpd to respond to rdate

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 12:42 -0800, Peter Easthope wrote:
> gf> You also need to configure your machine that you are referencing to
> reply to requests.
>
> gf> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/index.html
>
> gf> Usually, you need to allow local only clients/networks.
>
> That is more helpful, thanks.  I'm still not certain
> about the client.  Are you insisting that it should
> have ntp also?

I only use ntp on servers and clients.

Previous positions I have had, I made 2 seperate machine that were ntp
servers for my local network. I had 8000+ machines/nodes/workstations
there.

The two machines I had referenced 4 seperate external ntp servers and
each other. So for each machine had 5 references. This then meant 8
external times references, with 1 local peering setup.

I then had all of the "servers" being Netware, Linux and Windows
reference both local machines. Then each of the workstation set time
during machine login to the domains.

So, just to simplify my story, I used NTP in a local peering setup,
referencing each other, but also referencing 8 external resources. This
made it so that the local ntp servers were VERY accurate. I then set up
thes ntp servers to "serve" only my local machine networks/subnets.
Allowing only a poll, not a change.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup