Re: Re: configuring ntpd to respond to rdate

Hello Greg,

gf> You are confusing rdate and ntp.

I understand that they are distinct programs.

gf> rdate (traditionally) does not even speak the protocol of ntp.

I am trying to follow the instructions in 16.4.1 here.
(Join the following two lines.)
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/
    system-administrator/ch-sysadmin-time.html

gf> Why would you have rdate vs ntp installed on the one machine?

They are not.  To reiterate, ntp is on a server.
rdate is on the client as instructed in the manual
cited above.

gf> Use ntp anyway.

OK; section 16.4.1 in the admin manual must be wrong.

gf> You also need to configure your machine that you are referencing to
reply to requests.

gf> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/index.html

gf> Usually, you need to allow local only clients/networks.

That is more helpful, thanks.  I'm still not certain
about the client.  Are you insisting that it should
have ntp also?

Thanks,         ... Peter

--
Desktops.OpenDoc  http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/