Re: stable 3.1 (sarge) or testing 4.0 (etch) for a new user?

Marc Shapiro wrote:
[...]
A number of people reported problems with the upgrade from XFree86 to Xorg and to using udev. It might be better to start with Etch and just leave it at that. I did a clean install of Etch, myself (for the first time since Bo). I did it for other reasons, actually, but I think it may have been good from the standpoint of avoiding those particular upgrade changes, as well.

Osamu Aoki suggested a way around these problems. An outline of the method is on the NewbieDOC wiki: http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Aptitude_-_using_together_with_Synaptic_and_Apt-get#Upgrading_from_Sarge_to_Etch

--
Chris.