dvdstyler, "not valid mpeg-file"

I am generating MPEG-2 files in hardware using the WinTV PVR-150 MCE.
About one in 20 files is rejected by dvdstyler as "not valid mpeg-file."
Mythtv and totem have no problems playing the files. The Mythtv video file settings are all default as installed. Everything on my system is stock sarge and debian-multimedia, all up-to-date.

I have tried re-encoding with ffmpeg and mencoder, guessing at various parameters, without success. I am not familiar enough with video in general to easily debug this problem. If I bypass dvdstyler, mpgtx rejects the file. If I then use the mpgtx -X option, forcing mpgtx to search for a valid mpeg header, then later on mplex fails. Any help is appreciated.