Re: stable 3.1 (sarge) or testing 4.0 (etch) for a new user?

Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
On Sunday 28 January 2007 22:44, Oliver Twist wrote:
In any case, with a new major release (etch - 4.0) coming out soon, I am
wondering which release to use right now...  the testing release of 4.0 or
the stable release of 3.1 ?

I would say start with 3.1. If all is well, stick with it. Once Etch becomes stable, you can upgrade from 3.1 to 4.0. Unlike other distros, upgrading across stable releases is really easy!

Others have answered the rest of your questions. You might also find http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/debian_choosing_distribution.html useful.
A number of people reported problems with the upgrade from XFree86 to Xorg and to using udev. It might be better to start with Etch and just leave it at that. I did a clean install of Etch, myself (for the first time since Bo). I did it for other reasons, actually, but I think it may have been good from the standpoint of avoiding those particular upgrade changes, as well.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com