Re: NTP dynamic servers?

Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> writes:

> I used to run chrony (with difficulty) but ran into a problem with my
> new box: it couldn't access the hwclock.  If I told it not to, (so that
> the hwclock shutdown script could work), it really messed up my time.
> So I switched to ntp.  I access the net with ppp and put a script into
> ip-up.d to restart ntp when the link comes up.  Yes, ntp will jump
> instead of skew since a skew can take a __very__ long time to
> accomplish.
>
> With fewer and fewer people using dial-up I feel a bit orphaned at times
> and ntp/chrony is one of them.

You might want to look into something like what I do.  I use ntpdate
to set the time daily over ppp, but then I manually track the offset
and use adjtimex to adjust the kernel clock.  I have it set well
enough that the average slew is about 30 msec/day.  I think this is
basically what chrony does automatically, but I was using this before
chrony was available.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org