Re: NTP dynamic servers?

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 07:31:08PM +0100, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 23.01.07 01:49, Bruno Voigt wrote:
> > I'm running debian/unstable on my laptop and often the LAN/WLAN is not
> > connected (yet) when the system is starting up - including NTPD.
> >
> > NTPD then seems to discard all unreachable server entries and ends up with
> > no peers left. In some googled doc I found the ntp.conf option "dynamic"
> > to tell it that some peers may become available later on, but the debian
> > ntpd doesnt't seem to understand it - or I don't know how to use it
> > correctly.
> >
> > What is the best way to configure the ntpd in such an environment ?
>
> I use chrony on my laptop. It supports online and offline mode, however in
> sarge it only has up/down scripts in ppp subdirectories (not very good since
> I usually plug in ethernet). However I'm quite satisfied with it and when
> needed I run those scripts manually. I was thinking about creating ip-up.d
> and ip-down.d scripts (very elegant with ifplugd) which will set proper
> mode, and probably the provided NTP server (from dhcp or ppp config) too.

I used to run chrony (with difficulty) but ran into a problem with my
new box: it couldn't access the hwclock.  If I told it not to, (so that
the hwclock shutdown script could work), it really messed up my time.
So I switched to ntp.  I access the net with ppp and put a script into
ip-up.d to restart ntp when the link comes up.  Yes, ntp will jump
instead of skew since a skew can take a __very__ long time to
accomplish.

With fewer and fewer people using dial-up I feel a bit orphaned at times
and ntp/chrony is one of them.

Doug.