Re: NTP dynamic servers?

On 23.01.07 01:49, Bruno Voigt wrote:
> I'm running debian/unstable on my laptop and often the LAN/WLAN is not
> connected (yet) when the system is starting up - including NTPD.
>
> NTPD then seems to discard all unreachable server entries and ends up with
> no peers left. In some googled doc I found the ntp.conf option "dynamic"
> to tell it that some peers may become available later on, but the debian
> ntpd doesnt't seem to understand it - or I don't know how to use it
> correctly.
>
> What is the best way to configure the ntpd in such an environment ?

I use chrony on my laptop. It supports online and offline mode, however in
sarge it only has up/down scripts in ppp subdirectories (not very good since
I usually plug in ethernet). However I'm quite satisfied with it and when
needed I run those scripts manually. I was thinking about creating ip-up.d
and ip-down.d scripts (very elegant with ifplugd) which will set proper
mode, and probably the provided NTP server (from dhcp or ppp config) too.

Maybe something alike is in etch already...
One OS to bring them all and into darkness bind them