Re: Sound on M/board

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

john gennard wrote:

Kevin Mark wrote:

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 09:29:14AM +0000, john gennard wrote:

Normally, I use a Sound Card, but with a new Asrock
775Dual-VSTA board, there's a front panel socket which
I'd like to try, but I don't understand the connectors.

{snipped]

Hi John,
You should do your own research. Here is the pdf for your board, it has
instructions.
http://www.asrock.com/manual/775Dual-VSTA.pdf
(hint: the green plug is for 2 channel audio)

I already have the Manual (I referred to it) - the point is
I don't understand how what it says relates to the case's
connectors.

This is not a Gnu/linux or Debian issue.

I agree, I wouldn't be on this Newsgroup if I didn't run Debian.
It (Debian) is aleady on the Hard drive attached to this Mobo,
but if I can't connect the hardware how can I configure Sound
(other than getting a Sound card)?.

Looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157092
I only see 6 analog audioports in the rear I/O panel.

Is there a confusion between "front" and "rear"?

No, I don't think so, Hugo. I did say there were 6 at the rear.
As yet I do not understand all of them but I now have sound to my speakers from one of these.

The case has a panel at the front which gives two more USB
connections and a further two audio sockets. These have to be
brought into use by connecting to extra pins on the motherboard.
I had no problem enabling the extra USB, but I don't understand
exactly which of the 9 pins on the board accept the 7 connectors
in the cable provided by the case manufacturers. That is the
problem I need to solve.

I hadn't seen the link you gave before - thanks it is useful,
and does point to poor quality of the Manual.

John.