Re: 2.4 series kernel on Sid

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:59:21 +0100
"Dan H." <dunno@stoptrick.com> wrote:

> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> > maybe you mentioned this before, but what is your X/2.6 problem?
>
> Just horning in on this thread here; there are 2 reasons why I run 2.4
> on my current sarge box:
>
> 1. I have random keyboard freezes on boot-up with the 2.6.8-3-k7 kernel

Well, 2.6.8 is very old, and you're better off with etch, which uses
(I believe) 2.6.17 (actually, I use 2.6.17, but haven't done a kernel
upgrade in a while).

> 2. The SPICE package I'm frequently using doesn't work under 2.6.

Not sure about that - certainly you might have better luck with 2.6.
I've never tried running SPICE.

> I'm expecting to be upgraded to etch any day now when I do aptitude
> update && aptitude upgrade. Won't my 2.4 kernel just stay installed?

It should, and should remain an option that you can select from the
grub/boot menu. And as I understand the situation, kernels aren't
automatically upgraded anyway when you do a dist- or other upgrade, at
least not unless you tell aptitude to upgrade the kernel specifically.

> card to work under 2.4, which means no Google Earth (which in turn means
> I actually have to work instead of goofing off).

I sympathise :).

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.