Re: Starts another X server with different virtual terminal (for with use USB VGA) ?

On 1/17/07, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:
Ben Lau wrote:
> On 1/16/07, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Ben Lau wrote:
>> > $ sudo Xorg -- -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf-sisusb :1
>> >
>> > (The conf file is attached in the email. The session of input device
>> > is missed as I don't want it to use my keyboard in the test)
>> >
>> >  I could see the X cursor show on the monitor which is connected to
>> > the USB VGA. The X  should be running fine,  but I lost my current X
>> > in the original monitor. The screen is dark. Unless I press
>> > "Alt+Ctrl+F7" to switch back. Then it will cause the newly started X
>> > be dark. (Should be returned by "Alt+Ctrl+F8")
>> >
>> >  Seem that they shared the same virtual terminal (is it the right way
>> > to describe the problem?).The "XFree86 Local Multi-User Howto"
>> > suggested a method to solve but require a patched kernel. Any other
>> > way to solve the problem?
>> I always run two X sessions (one for myself and one for my wife) in
>> seperate virtual terminals, but on a single physical monitor.  I add the
>> virtual terminal to the end of the startx command, as in:
>>
>>     startx -- :0 vt07
>>

> The vt07 is used by my primary display , and now I would like to use
> another vt that allow both of the display works simultaneously. The
> previous command will allocate vt8 for secondary display but it don't
> allow them to work simultaneously. I must press Alt+Ctrl+F7|F8 to
> activate either one.
That is a problem that I can not help with.  I only have one monitor, so
have not tried to run both simultaneously.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Thanks for all the guys whose gave suggestion for the problem. Finally
I gave up this approach. Instead just write a normal dual head
ServerLayout in my primary xorg.conf.

The result is not bad. Even the USB VGA adapter doesn't connect to the
computer, X could start normally (I just thought it will die). Plug it
into the USB slot, restart X, then it will have the secondary display.
Nothing crash to unplug the adapter. Once it is replugged again, the
secondary screen will be recovered within 5-10 second time.

Good job!! Xorg developers!

Content of Xorg.0.conf

(EE) SISUSB(1): Lost connection to USB device
(II) SISUSB(1): Setting standard mode 0x64